Friday, December 12, 2008

THE REMINISCENT

Editor’s Note : It was a pleasure listening to the history of Mulund, from a senior doctor. He has very interesting tales to tell. Read for yourself.

I started my practice in the year 1950, when Mulund was a village of Thane district and a sizable land was under cultivation. The then population was about fifteen thousand only. Most of them were average middle-class farmers and fishermen, Gujrathis, Kutchchis and Sindhis. Most of them migrated from Karachi.
.
There were very few doctors in Mulund. Most of the patients were depending on home remedies . Paying capacity of the patients was also meager. As there was no facility of pathology and X-ray I used to depend on my clinical examination and treat the patients accordingly. I used to charge the patient eight annas (50 paise) to a rupee. In time of need, I used to refer the patient to the nearest KEM Hospital, Parel.

I was performing various minor surgeries, which included ENT and tooth extraction. At times, I had to manage stab injuries. This was possible due to my surgical training at the Podar Hospital and Haji Bachu Ali Hospital, Parel.
.
I used to make home visit even at dead of night, some times tracking through paddy fields and occasionally encountering snakes. Day visit charges were three rupees. I was in Home Guards as a medical officer for twenty five years and rendered my services during Indo-Chinese war 1962, and Indo-Pakistan wars 1965 and 1971, conducting Civil - Defence first aid classes and night patrolling. .
During my time the family doctor was considered as a family member and relations were cordial. Quite a few criminals were externed to Mulund. However, the externees (Tadi-Par) respected the doctors, when they and their families came for treatment.
.
The development of Mulund actually started after the Brihan Mumbai Municipal corporation (BMC) extended the limits in eastern suburbs upto Mulund and in western suburbs upto Dahisar in the year 1956. When Mulund was merged in BMC the development of roads started. Gradually the tar roads were made. Some of them were renamed from Cown road to Mahatma Gandhi road and from Carter road to Netaji Subhash road. Tap water was made available. Quite a few gardens were developed in the west and east Mulund. A prestigious cultural & sports complex, Kalidas was developed in the west for public use. .
I and my wife, late Dr. MALINI started our hospital on Dassera day in the year 1956. We could provide facilities for major Gynaec. and General surgeries. For normal deliveries, the charges were Rs. 60/- which included stay with food for ten days.
.
At present due to change of time and advent of consumer protection act, the medical fraternity as a whole, has to be very alert to avoid ugly situations and litigations. In my opinion, if group practice is adopted, much of the stress could be relieved ; at the same time updating knowledge should be considered most important.
Dr. Mohan N. Parmar

No comments: